[asterisk-users] Capacity for transcode G711 to G729

Matt Riddell (IT) matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Thu Sep 7 12:41:57 MST 2006

RR wrote:
> Hi matt,
>
> sorry this might be a stupid question but is a bit pertinent to me,
> I'd asked something similar in one of my last email regarding SMP. Do
> you know if (*) is capable of making use of HT support i.e is
> multi-threaded and improves performance for operations like
> transcoding? Is that a valid question or is this only dependant on the

I don't think you will get double or anything, in fact many people have
suggested that HT be turned off when people experience problems.

> OS/Kernel, the CPU itself and the chipset on the motherboard? If I
> boot into an SMP kernel with Asterisk compiled with the SMP kernel
> source, would it just make use of multi-threading as the load
> increases on cpu-intensive operations?

The best use I have seen is the newly converted IAX2 which can use
multithreading in version 1.4, the beta of which should be released
later this week.

The best idea would be to compile Asterisk, run some tests (show
translation recalc 60) with HT turned on, restart the box, bring it up
with HT turned off and try again.

You should also run a few calls and check the CPU.

> Also, when you said the normal is 120 simultaneous transcoding
> operations, what is "normal"? I have a P4 w/HT 3.4Ghz, 2GB RAM
> machine. Would that be above or below "normal"?
>
> Thanks much
> \R

I would think that is above normal but not by much, I'm not sure what
"normal" was, nor can I find the Digium document where this was stated.

It wasn't that long ago.

I'm doing some more tests on a 3000 line setup (external DS3s via
Asterisk and SER clusters) at the moment which we are splitting to be
half G.729 and half ulaw, and I will try to post some results.

- --
Cheers,

Matt Riddell

http://www.sineapps.com/news.php (Daily Asterisk News - html)