[asterisk-users] Capacity for transcode G711 to G729

RR ranjtech at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 09:22:39 MST 2006

Hi matt,

sorry this might be a stupid question but is a bit pertinent to me,
I'd asked something similar in one of my last email regarding SMP. Do
you know if (*) is capable of making use of HT support i.e is
multi-threaded and improves performance for operations like
transcoding? Is that a valid question or is this only dependant on the
OS/Kernel, the CPU itself and the chipset on the motherboard? If I
boot into an SMP kernel with Asterisk compiled with the SMP kernel
source, would it just make use of multi-threading as the load
increases on cpu-intensive operations?

Also, when you said the normal is 120 simultaneous transcoding
operations, what is "normal"? I have a P4 w/HT 3.4Ghz, 2GB RAM
machine. Would that be above or below "normal"?

Thanks much
\R