[asterisk-users] Native Chinese speaker needed

John Williams williams at tni.com
Tue Sep 5 19:34:48 MST 2006

No, I'm not looking for a voice talent.

I have been deploying an IVR in my company's China office, and our people
there complained about the way asterisk spoke the date in Chinese.

After discussing it with them, I have submitted a patch, which can be
found on the Digium Issue Tracker at
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=7827

I would greatly appreciate it if another native Chinese speaker could
review the proposed change, and comment on whether it is culturally and/or
grammatically correct.  Please add a note to the Issue at the above URL
with your comments.

Here is my description from the Issue:

 My contacts in China/Taiwan tell me that the way the day-of-month is done
by asterisk in chinese is wrong. The proper way is to say an cardinal
number followed by the chinese word for "day".

The current implementation speaks an ordinal number for the day-of-month,
and does so in a way which is grammatically incorrect.

The current implementation speaks the day-of-month as an ordinal number in
an odd way. For example, 25th is done with the recordings "digits/h-20h",
"digits/h-5"; 17th is "digits/h-10h", "digits/h-7" instead of using
"digits/h-17"!

Chinese uses a prefix for ordinal numbers, so a grammatically correct
expression would be "h-20", "5". Using "h-5" as the second recording
places the prefix in the middle of the number, which is wrong. What
"h-20h" should contain is not explained any where, and the only readily
available collection of sound files in chinese for asterisk (at
iaxtalk.com) does not contain any of the "h-%d" files.

The attached patch changes the day-of-month code to do (for example)
"digits/20", "digits/5", "digits/day" for the 25th, or "digits/10",
"digits/7", "digits/day" for the 17th.

~ John Williams