[asterisk-users] [Slightly OT] Grandstream configurator tool

Dave Fullerton dfullertasterisk at shorelinecontainer.com
Fri Sep 1 06:11:21 MST 2006

Andrea Spadaccini wrote:
> Hello *,
> is there anybody that has already used the Grandstream configurator
> tool? I have to configure a lot of GXP-2000s and BT-102s, and I'd like
> to automatize this process.
>
> The configurator doesn't work for me... Probably I don't know how to
> make it work. I did the following:
>
> 1. Connect the phone to the net WITHOUT doing anything
> 2. Write the configuration file
> 3. issue the encode.sh script as stated in the user guide
>
> But the phone still displays "no IP" (it's a BT-102)...
>
> Where's the mistake?
> Thanks in advance,

I have used the config tool with a BT-102 that I have. I am using HTTP
provisioning. My procedure was as follows:

* Make sure DHCP is set up on the network so the phone can auto
configure its IP settings.
* Set up two directories on my web server, one for firmware, and one for
config files. I used grandstream/firmware and grandstream/configs
* Write my config file and use the encode.sh script to create the
cfg{macaddress} file and place it in grandstream/configs.
* Plug the phone in and let it boot. Determine what the phone's IP
address is and use the web interface to enter the URL to the directory
containing the config files and tell it to use HTTP provisioning. (If
anyone knows a way to do this through a DHCP option I'd love to hear it).
* Reboot the phone manually. When the phone boots it should grab its
config file and then reboot again. If it needs to update the firmware it
will download it and reboot one more time.
* Start talking.

It might be possible to make this work more streamlined by using tftp,
but grandstream uses some extensions to the basic tftp server included
with the linux distro I use and I wasn't interested in trying to figure
out how to make it work for only one phone.

Hope this helps

-Dave