[asterisk-users] Architecture for Asterisk

jezzzz . jezonthenet at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 31 21:30:58 MST 2006

Thank you for you responses re: my question on the architecture of Asterisk. Olle, your explanation was especially useful. I still feel like I'm missing a crucial part here. If Asterisk is an endpoint, and according to the example you gave in your response (if u1 hangs up then Asterisk decides to hang up with u2) it is then for a 'bye' message, where would Asterisk come in? Would u1 send a bye message to Asterisk who would then send that message to u2? I'm still a little puzzled as to where it comes in the picture when we're talking about the flow of messages between two users. Perhaps more specifically, why is Asterisk required at all? Is it just to locate users?

Thank you so much

Jez