[asterisk-users] "Fixing the Caller-ID Problem", by John Todd for O'ReillyNet

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Oct 26 12:27:15 MST 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 01:00:18PM -0400, Henry.L.Coleman wrote:
> Obviously we (as an industry) have to start to take notice of this spoofing.
> otherwise "big brother" will start to legistrate against it. This will
> give the CRTC or FCC another excuse to spend a lot of tax payers money on
> something which is of marginal value.
> My position is that there are only two reasons for wanting to change an
> outbound CID:
> 1. to deceive the called party
> 2. to validate the calling party
>
> I don't know how much notice people take of CID but obviously if if it can
> be used to mis-represent or for fraudulant purposes then it will become
> useless.

People take *lots* of note of it, or they wouldn't be thinking about a
bill.

As far as I'm concerned, the issue just now is "can I trust the CNID
handed to me by my LEC on my PSTN connection".  That is, and really,
can only remain, the province of the LEC's and IXC's that send calls
there.  Firewalling incoming CNID from PRI's and VoIP carriers is the
business of people who accept incoming end-user calls; it has to be
done there in a network architected the way the PSTN is.

This sounds to me like the LECs and IXCs lobbying Congress to take it
off *their* plate...

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_