[asterisk-users] "No Authority Found"

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 12:30:40 MST 2006

In over three years of using Asterisk in the lab and also in real-world
deployments and supporting other Asterisk users, the single most common
problem I have encountered and seen others encounter is the message "No
Authority Found" and the inability to call between machines when using IAX.
This is always a configuration problem which is solved after some tinkering
with the iax.conf, however I still do not understand the behaviour fully,
every time I am able to get it to work it is by pure luck, not by a set
formula Even using the example iax.conf files I have seen the "no authority
found" messages, and what puzzles me even more is that I can't find a
detailed explanation of this error. Is there any resource with a detailed
explanation of "No Authority Found" messages and how to troubleshoot them?
Maybe it relates to the second part of my inquiry?

Another thing is my understanding of the "peer," "user" and "friend." I
thought that a "peer" can only receive calls from either a user or a friend,
a "user" sends calls to a peer or friend and a friend is both a peer and a
user, however in my production machine I have the following configured:

register = user:password at providerip

[provider-ingress]
type=peer
username=user
host=providerip

[provider-egress]
type=user
username=user
host=providerip

That's the basics, user, password, providerip are all the same. Now when the
provier sends us a call, it always comes in through (according to the CLI
and CDR) provider-egress. How can this be if a "user" is supposed to send
calls, not receive them??