[Asterisk-Users] rxfax problem

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 19:53:37 MST 2006

On 10/23/06, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:

> Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
>
> > You are using bad software to view the faxes. In Windows the picture
> > and fax viewer seems to work fine, however in Linux KGhostView or
> > whever the default program is does not work, however you should try
> > KFaxView.
>
> They've broken Windows now, if you install Microsoft Office. It changes
> the default viewer from the picture and fax viewer to something much
> more broken.

I've never seemed to have a problem with it..... It might not be
specification-compliant, but it does seem to display faxes at the correct
resoltuion and it supports multi-page tiff files...

> > Steve: I'm wondering if one day span_dsp will support T38, say we have
> > a SIP provider that supports T.38 we should be able to recieve a good
> > fax? Right now the fax is distorted a bit, I think because it does not
> > support ECM?
>

> The latest test versions of the spandsp support both ECM and T.38. The
> T.38 functionality may not be available with Asterisk, though.

Is there any other software it would work with? Is there any situation under
which it might work? If you don't mind saying, what is missing for
full t.38support?

Also with ECM being present now, that should eliminate distortion? Its at
random places during the fax there are "glitches" such as parts of the line
missing or being shifted a bit, but that isn't with the latest version.