[asterisk-users] checking 'voicemail" externally - doesn't work

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 12:34:43 MST 2006

> Second authentication DISA is for additional security

Actually that's called paranioa

and it doesn't
> cause any problem,

Obviously you do have a problem accessing your voicemail, else you would not
be posting this

the authentication is giving me access to voicemail
> but password is not recognized.

It's giving you access to the voicemailmain application. What is the
mailbox? Is it PSTN3434 like your caller ID? If you are calling in from
(presumably) "any" phone does it make sense to use the caller id as the
mailbox number? Why not use this:

[voicemail]
> exten => 1000,1,NoCDR()
> exten => 1000,2,Answer()
> exten => 1000,3,VoicemailMain(${CALLERIDNUM})
>
> [disa-access]
> include => tollfree
> exten => 1000,1,VoicemailMain()

You will have to enter the mailbox number now as well as the password, so
instead of being protected by two passwords it is not protected by two
passwords AND the mailbox number. So you can remove the disa and the hacker
still has to know two unique numbers to access the voicemail... same amount
of security.