[asterisk-users] Why does it take at least 4 flipping days before asterisk tries to resolve a provider?

Thomas Kenyon digium at sanguinarius.co.uk
Mon Oct 23 06:19:25 MST 2006

Remco Barendse wrote:

> It is not, asterisk is correctly started after networking services,
> however it seems that when the box is booting the dns is replying just a
> split second too late for the taste of asterisk and it seems that asterisk
> then marks the provider as unavailable.
>
> * should never wait that long, the 'load' on the box to resolve maybe a
> handful of domains is nothing, even if you would be running a Pentium 1
> box, and this should not be any reason not to try again every few minutes
> or so.

I was under the impression that it only contacted the hosts if it was
registering with them, then it would wait until the value passed in
registertimeout (sip.conf) and retry again after that time (if it failed).

In practise here (and at work) if the machine has problems contacting
registration hosts, anyx sip clients connected to the server (even
locally) will not register and any fixed sip peer -> user pairs that
don't require registration will also not work until it can contact the
host again.

I doubt this is what's supposed to happen, but that's what happens with
me (1.2.12.1 and 1.4b2).