[asterisk-users] Why does it take at least 4 flipping days before asterisk tries to resolve a provider?

Remco Barendse asterisk at barendse.to
Mon Oct 23 04:29:48 MST 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Andreas Sikkema wrote:

> Remco,
>
> > Asterisk starts before the internet connection is up and dns
> > is working.
>
> <knip>
>
> > And then people say nightly asterisk restarts are not a good idea....
>

> Why is your asterisk startup script running before networking has been
> setup? Asterisk has the same networking dependencies as apache, so I
> start it around the same time using the same priority as apache and as
> far as I know networking should work at that time or not at all, not
> somewhere in between.

It is not, asterisk is correctly started after networking services,
however it seems that when the box is booting the dns is replying just a
split second too late for the taste of asterisk and it seems that asterisk
then marks the provider as unavailable.

* should never wait that long, the 'load' on the box to resolve maybe a
handful of domains is nothing, even if you would be running a Pentium 1
box, and this should not be any reason not to try again every few minutes
or so.

> pebkac?

If your view is broad enough all computer / it related trouble could be
traced back to that :)