[asterisk-users] Embedded Asterisk

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Fri Oct 20 11:05:11 MST 2006

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 11:54:45AM -0400, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
>
>>	I understand what a soft phone is.  I know what java is.  I also
>>	know that neither have anything to do with the slug.
>

> They do if Asterisk is runnin on the slug.
>
> What he meant was perfectly clear to *me*, Kristian; I'm not sure why
> you didn't understand him.
>

>>                                                       The slug cannot
>>support any web browsers that support java.
>

> The shipped interface may not utilize Java, but your assertion means
> that *no* current-day browser could operate a slug, which seems like a
> misstatement to me...
>

>>                                            The slug doesn't have any
>>audio interfaces that could support audio for a softphone - so again, what
>>does the slug have to do with a java softphone?!?!?  You mentioned that
>>compiling for the slug helped resolve some issues for you.  What are you
>>compiling, and how does it run on the slug?
>

> He's compiling his softphone, so that it does not have endianness
> problems which are exposed by connecting it to an Asterisk instance
> running on a slug, which is opposite-endian from most PC's, IIRC.
>
> Of course, if Asterisk *exposes* underlying endianness issues, it's
> broken...
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

jra,

	He implied that he made code tweaks to his web based softphone (which
is written in java) as a result of running it on the slug.  I was trying
to figure out exactly what he was talking about, and how he did it.
Slug audio device?  Which java virtual machine?  How did the interface
work?  These were the kinds of questions that I had.  He answered all of
them off-list.  So it seems I wasn't as far off as you seem to think.

	It actually had *nothing* to do with Asterisk running on the slug, so
it seems that you might be even more confused than I am :).  He
confirmed off-list that the scenario he described did not involve
running Asterisk on the slug.  It involved running the softphone in a
java vm on the slug, as a softphone with audio, etc.

	Check out the website.  The shipped product appears to be %100 Java.
That's pretty clear.  As far as my "misstatement", I think it was pretty
clear too:

"the slug cannot support any browsers that support java"

*that support java* - this is key

	Which is completely true.  links, lynx, etc.  These are all browsers
that run perfectly well on the slug.  None of them support java (even if
they did, what would be the point)?  Does the slug support browsers -
yes.  Do those browsers support java - no.

	Although you claim to fully understand him, your post indicates just
the opposite.  Did you read the whole thread?

P.S. - FYI, Asterisk does run on the slug.  Quite well in fact.  Just
like it runs on mipsel, xscale, ppc, x86_64, and x86.

--
Kristian Kielhofner