[asterisk-users] Embedded Asterisk

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Oct 20 10:19:48 MST 2006

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 11:54:45AM -0400, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> 	I understand what a soft phone is.  I know what java is.  I also
> 	know that neither have anything to do with the slug.

They do if Asterisk is runnin on the slug.

What he meant was perfectly clear to *me*, Kristian; I'm not sure why
you didn't understand him.

>                                                        The slug cannot
> support any web browsers that support java.

The shipped interface may not utilize Java, but your assertion means
that *no* current-day browser could operate a slug, which seems like a
misstatement to me...

>                                             The slug doesn't have any
> audio interfaces that could support audio for a softphone - so again, what
> does the slug have to do with a java softphone?!?!?  You mentioned that
> compiling for the slug helped resolve some issues for you.  What are you
> compiling, and how does it run on the slug?

He's compiling his softphone, so that it does not have endianness
problems which are exposed by connecting it to an Asterisk instance
running on a slug, which is opposite-endian from most PC's, IIRC.

Of course, if Asterisk *exposes* underlying endianness issues, it's
broken...

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_