[asterisk-users] Is 1.2.12.1 production ready

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 07:46:05 MST 2006

> No need for a religious argument!

But my OS has been ordained by GOD!  j/k

> I have, on occasion, had to reboot Linux CentOS 3.x with Asterisk
> 1.2.10, but certainly not daily, once a week or longer. Only when
> something is obviously insane.

I run Tao Linux on a number of the asterisk boxes I administer, and
it's basically the same thing as CentOS.  To get it to the point of
useable stability, I had to disable probably about 20 or so useless
processes that are running by default.  Before I disabled these
processes, I did have to schedule weekly reboots.  I'm now able to
keep it running continuously running without hiccups with all the
versions of asterisk that I mentioned previously in this thread.  The
only reboots I have are for occasional security updates, about once
every few months or so.

I also did run CVS-HEAD (pre 1.2) in production at one point, and that
WAS pretty hairy as far as stability is concerned.  When I did that, I
did have to run cron scripts to restart asterisk, but not the whole
system.

I definitely agree with other posters in this thread that reboots are
generally NOT the answer, at least as a long term solution.  Just from
anecdotal experience, it seems more likely that you'll run into
problems at boot time than if you leave the system running and just
restart certain offending processes.

- Noah