[asterisk-users] Why is this happening?

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Tue Oct 17 08:17:10 MST 2006

Time Bandit wrote:
>> Thanks for the answer, but I don't buy it.  There are currently 0
>> calls up on that bridge, while another connection which has calls up
>> on it is on Port 4569.. please try again.  IAX2 is suppose to run on
>> ONLY one port.. this is why it is so nice for use in firewall
>> situations.
>
> It doesn't change a thing !
>
> Same thing happens with a webserver. It listen for connections on port
> 80 (default port) and when a connection comes in, it is handed to
> another free port on the server so the "main" server can continue
> listening on port 80. Same thing with FTP, etc. All TCP servers that
> accept more than one connection

This is totally and completely wrong.

An IP connection is uniquely identified by the information of "Source IP
+ Source Port" AND "Destination IP and Destination Port".

In the case of you example the IAX2 registration came in from the source
port on the far device of 1207.

Connections don't just move between ports.

When you do an "iax2 show peers" you are seeing the REMOTE IP address
and the REMOTE port.  It does not show anything about the local ports or
local IP addresses.