[asterisk-users] Why is this happening?

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Mon Oct 16 20:32:47 MST 2006

Matt wrote:
> Ok I understand all that... Just wanted to confirm that A) it was the
> remote router mangeling the port and B) that it wouldn't cause an
> issue (I wasn't 100% sure if it would.. since only the 4569 port is
> open on the firewall).
>
> Could this cause an issue?  If only 4569 is open on the firewall, and
> IAX tries to setup the connection and then move to a port that isn't
> opened wouldn't this cause one-way audio, or no audio at all?

If a remote NAT router has mangled the port that Asterisk is using to
some other value, then that is the port--from the perspective of the
local Asterisk server--that it will be using to effect communications
with the remote endpoint.

At the other end, the NAT router will handle the appropriate translation
from that port to the port being used on the Asterisk server.

I do this all the time, and the reason I say "the port being used on the
Asterisk server" is because IAX is able to handle any number of such
mappings without problem.

The only problem I have is NAT routers that have very short timeouts set
on such mappings.  There are ways to get around that problem, but that
discussion isn't germane here unless you have identified that as being
the situation in this case.

B.

believed to be clean.