[asterisk-users] Re: How do you like TrixBox?

Tom Lynn tom at tomlynn.com
Sat Oct 14 21:12:17 MST 2006

FWIW, I too started with AAH, but got really upset when tempted with an
upgrade and learning the path was a total re-install.  I hear things have
gotten better since.

In response, I went completely minimalist and turned to AstLinux.  My
primary reason was my only hardware resource was a PC without a hard drive.
It cost me 1/2 as much to buy an IDE to Compact Flash adaptor and a 512MB CF
card than a new hard drive.

With my dusty old driveless PC now converted to a brand new, yet still dusty
* system, I turned to the O'Reilly book, freely downloadable from the net.
Working through the book, I learned everything I needed to configure a
beginning system.

I now run my home on AstLinux, and regardless of how much I hear about
TrixBox being upgradeable, I still see it's a love/hate relationship every
time a new release is put forth.  I also read a lot about audio quality and
AstLinux gets great marks in this respect.  I'd recommend it to anybody new
to * because it's minimalist, embedded systems approach teaches you so much
about the tradeoffs you have to make to maintain a stable system that
pleases it's users.

Tom