[asterisk-users] Re: Centos kernel 34 vs. 42? [was: asterisk-users Digest, Vol 27, Issue 72]

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Sat Oct 14 17:54:43 MST 2006

Remco Barendse <asterisk at barendse.to> wrote:

I'm not running trixbox but normal Centos 4 with asterisk installed. I
tried to find some further info on this but couldn't find any.

Do audio problems occur with normal Centos and the latest kernel version
too? (In other words, should every centos user downgrade??)
<<

I can't give you a definitive answer, but can provide a data point. I
started out with an AAH installation early this year, then enabled yum and
watched it upgrade various packages. Before long it upgraded the kernel and
I found myself having to rebuild zaptel or be careful to always reboot the
original kernel that zaptel was compiled against. A little later, zaptel
wouldn't recompile against the newer kernel sources. So, a few weeks ago, I
bit the bullet and cleaned out the stable, so to speak - got the Centos
2.6.9-42.EL kernel sources, figured out how CentOS wanted them installed,
and also downloaded the latest Asterisk, zaptel, freepbx, etc. and rebuilt
the whole lot. My config is now kernel 2.6.9-42.EL-smp, with Asterisk
1.2.12.1, zaptel 1.2.9.1, freepbx 2.1.2, etc.

Cutting to the chase: I'm not aware of any audio problems, but our system
doesn't get heavy use (only two lines and eight phones).

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]