[asterisk-users] T1 Passthrough

Don Pobanz asterisk at hastingsutilities.com
Mon Oct 9 20:00:55 MST 2006

Forrest Beck wrote:
> I want to setup a asterisk server with two T1 spans (two TE110P
> cards).

Inserting asterisk between two T1s should be fine. It would be better
however to get a dual port T1 card rather than 2 single port T1 cards.
Otherwise, you may have 'timing' slips between ports.

You should then derive the timing from the PRI coming from the telco.

Will the T1 to your norstar be wink start e&m using robbed bit signaling
(rbs)?

>The server will have one card connected to the PRI and the
> other will connect to our Norstar Meridian ICS system.
>
> Will I need to set the callerid before routing to the next span, or
> will the three digits remain intact.?

You should not need to explicitly set caller id since it will be passed
from the PRI. If the telco allows you set caller ID for a group of
numbers, you will need to just be sure to specify the correct 3 digits
for outgoing calls. Would the Norstar pass this information to you?

> and
> Has anyone tried this? and if so do you forsee any problems i will run
> into?

I have not done this exact thing but something similar. I don't foresee
any problems that can't be worked through.

Don Pobanz