[asterisk-users] Lots and lots of log files

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Mon Oct 9 07:52:15 MST 2006

Ejay Hire wrote:
> Hello all, and good morning
>
> In my /var/log/asterisk directory I have 492,018 log files, most of which
> are empty.
> event_log.XXX queue_log.XXX messages.XXX where XXX is an integer.
>
> I removed them all and restarted asterisk a few days ago, but they came
> back.
>
> This morning I turned off event and queue logging, but I would prefer to
> have the messages log.  I didn't see an entry for theis in logrotate.
>
> The root issue behind this is that I get a message about a signal that the
> log files are too big, and asterisk stops working.  None of my log files are
>
>> 1mb though.  Restarting asterisk fixes it.
>>

> Thanks,
> Ejay
>

> ... System information
>
> [root at localhost asterisk]# du -h /var/log/asterisk
> 1.3G    .
> 840K    ./cdr-csv
> 956K    ./cdr-custom
>
> Asterisk 1.2.11
> Linux version 2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp (gcc version 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat
> 3.4.6-3)) #1 SMP
> Asterisk 1.2.11 built by buildcentos @ localhost.localdomain on a i686
> running Linux
> localhost*CLI> logger show channels
> Channel                             Type     Status    Configuration
> -------                             ----     ------    -------------
> /var/log/asterisk/messages          File     Enabled    - Warning Notice
> Error
>                                     Console  Enabled    - Warning Notice
> Error

Edit /etc/asterisk/logger.conf then asterisk -rx "logger reload" or do
it in cron the dirty way:

0 * * * *  ls -ltha /var/log/asterisk/|awk '{print $5,$9}'|grep "0
"|grep -v [1-9]|xargs rm -rf

J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
sil . infiltrated @ net http://www.infiltrated.net

The happiness of society is the end of government.
John Adams