[asterisk-users] Re: Real-time and priority "n"

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Sun Oct 8 11:35:41 MST 2006

Tony Mountifield wrote:
> In article <452874A4.5050204 at elmit.com>,
> Ronald Wiplinger <ronald at elmit.com> wrote:
>
>>Is it exclusive? Either Realtime or priority "n" ???
>>
>>If so, what is the better way?
>

> I believe 'n' is just a shorthand way of writing "previous line + 1",
> and gets converted into an actual number as the dialplan is compiled.
> After compilation, the information about whether a line had been given
> as 'n' or as a specific number has been lost, as far as I know.

Rows can be added to a database table at any time.  Imagine a series of
priorities added to a table using nothing more than "n" as a priority
number beyond the first one.

Now imagine wanting to add a new priority in between any two arbitrary
entries in the table.  How would you even specify which two lines should
surround it, when they have no identifying "serial number" associated
with them?

Unless you were to add a new field, e.g. "priority location identifier,"
or somesuch.  Which does nothing more than move back to the present
situation.

The extensions.conf parser adds a "real" priority to each line, but in
Realtime that responsibility falls on the DB maintainer.

B.

believed to be clean.