[asterisk-users] SIP client that runs on Linux or Solaris through X Windows?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Oct 7 10:49:14 MST 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 03:05:40PM -0500, Joe wrote:
> Actually the xclients could run the SIP clients but they have firewall
> restrictions.
>
> I want to SSH to the machines which aren't behind the firewall and
> pull the SIP client interfaces back via X Windows.

ssh is a very poor choice for such a firewall.

Read http://tldp.org/HOWTO/ppp-ssh/introduction.html#DRAWBACKS

Now re-read the recent thread we had here about the extra overhead of
RTP packets. With an ssh tunnel you'll typically get a data packet of
512 bytes for every RTP packet. Nice overhead.

Consider using openvpn or something similar instead.

Also: You did not mention where the the X clients reside. Maybe your
task is actually to work with a decent networked sound server just as
display is networked with X.

Some interesting, but quite linux-specific resources regarding that may
be found at http://wiki.ltsp.org/ .

Tzafrir Cohen         sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755          iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406          jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org