[asterisk-users] Wouldn't Tri-tone detection in Dial() be cool?

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Wed Oct 4 10:35:53 MST 2006

To: Whom it may Concern:

Well, it hit me last night as I was falling asleep... Asterisk (in the
app Zapateller)
can emit the tri-tone (you know beep-Beep-BEEP... The number you have
dialed is no longer
in service. Please check the number and...blah, blah)

Well, it occurred to me that, for the sake of orthogonality, wouldn't it
be cool if
Asterisk's Dial function also detected that tone, with an option to
immediately
hang up if it occurred, with a result code of WRONGNUMBER or NOSERVICE
or whatever?

It also occurred to me that this **might** only be useful to the hated
and dreaded
autodialers that telemarketers use. Even so, it wouldn't hurt me any
more than normal
to have asterisk-based autodialers detect that and get me off their call
lists!

Hah, I'm not trying to imply that I have the skill set right now to
implement this,
nor am I trying to convince anyone right now to do it. The idea just hit
me, and
I wonder if it has already been done somewhere?

murf

--
Steve Murphy
Software Developer