[asterisk-users] Asterisk RT on Disk On Module Performance and Durability

Jeremy McNamara jj at nufone.net
Fri Oct 6 11:32:37 MST 2006

Erick Perez wrote:
> Hi,
> Im doing some research for Disk on a Module (DOM) with asterisk
> realtime. To have no moving parts for a special project, I know I can
> use 3.5 or 2.5 HDDs but DOMs sound interesting.
>
> Does someone have working experience with this?
> Basically the Asterisk Realtime will be stored in MySQL and the DB will
> be stored in a Disk on a Module.

There are better ways than RealTime to configure asterisk, but that is a
religious war, so I won't discuss it.

> I have read that the usual standard is 2,000,000 MTBF and 2,000,000
> Read/Write Cycles.

 From my experience it is only writes that matter.

> Is there an utility/section/procedure that can "count/display" the reads
> and writes a normal Linux system does? That result can be extrapolated
> to understand, in terms of days/week/months how much time a Disk on
> Module will last.
>
> Anyone with field experience?

Setup the system to mount a Ramdisk for the various standard locations
(/var and /tmp and /). Symlink the standard files from a ROM partition
to your mounted ramdisk / (root) partition. Then only write to the flash
when absolutely necessary, like for system updates.

Usually I charge for this kind of info, so consider yourself lucky since
I am in a good mood today. (oddly enough)

Jeremy McNamara