[asterisk-users] Asterisk integration

Brian Becker usfbulls20 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 07:37:59 MST 2006

I am sure this is slightly offtopic for this list but it seems there
are a number of smart people here.  My company is experimenting with
Asterisk with great success.  We are looking to integrate it into our
current phone system to run the phones out of a new suite of offices
(same building hard wired).  I  have almost no knowledge of the
current phone system other then what I get told from our phone
contractor.  We currently have a Samsung iDCS 500 digital phone system
(Apparently release 1, whatever that meens) running Telekol Minitel
3.91B (if that even matters?).

In its current setup I setup a zaptel trunk to an analog circuit witch
actually works great.  Running a number of offices off of a single
analog line has its obvious downsides.  Obviously I could hook
multiple analog lines up to the system and have multiple zaptel trunks
but this seems a bit micky mouse (not to mention just how many lines I
would need).  I would rather have a SIP trunk (or some other trunk by
all means) to be handed off from the current system to go into
asterisk.

Now that you have the background I am hoping someone here has the
knowledge to either confirm or deny what the contractor is telling me.
 I am being told that I have to upgrade to release 2 in order to
integrate asterisk...simple question, is this true?

My hunch is i could probably buy a module for release 1 that would
give me this capability.

Brian