[asterisk-users] CALEA support within asterisk?

Brandon Galbraith brandon.galbraith at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 12:28:01 MST 2006

On 10/3/06, Matthew Thompson <matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk> wrote:

> On 3 Oct 2006, at 19:53, Colin Anderson wrote:
>
> >> I, for one, welcome our new Republican overlords.
> >
> > lol you are just full of pop culture references, aren't you?
>
> Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.
>
> Seriously though - is anyone aware of a precis of CALEA? I'm about to
> install an Asterisk setup into our US office and being a Brit in the
> UK I'm not totally up on what your Republic overlords are upto.
>
> I believe CALEA applies primarily to organizations that are ITSPs (Vonage,
for example). Your business doesn't need to provide CALEA if it's just an
end user (IANAL, though). CALEA should be fairly easy to implement either in
Asterisk (with patches) or on the media gateway (when the call hits the
PSTN/GSM network). It's even easier if it's SIP end to end, as you just need
a box to sit in the middle and reinvite both ends to run through the
"monitoring system" as it were.

-brandon