[asterisk-users] tools/techniques/metrics for measurement of end-point quality

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Tue Oct 3 00:59:55 MST 2006

Hi,

It looks like Voice quality is more and more frequently embedded in phones
themselves, mostly with RTCP statistics.
I've understood RFC3550 is a first step and RFC3611 goes one step further
with MOS and R-factor mesurement.

I suppose that best practices should include a way to monitor those Voice
quality statistics from a monitoring hub and trigger call routing to improve
voice quality when desirable.

I'm not aware of any SIP hardphone complying to RFC3611 though a couple of
SIP softphones claim to.
Among those softphone, I'm aware of Counterpath's eyeBeam (which embed
Telchemy VQMon software) and Kapanga.

I think I once contacted Telchemy to know SIP hardphone vendors they dealed
with but couldn't get any reply.

So, that leaves RFC3550 compliant hardphones.
I think Cisco's are RFC3550 compliant.

Hope this helps ...