[asterisk-users] Asterisk Advice

K Y Iyer Iyer at NDTV.COM
Tue Oct 3 00:31:29 MST 2006

Hi

Looking at using Asterisk for a new remote office with about 200 extensions.  We have an existing EPABX in our central office with about 120 POTS lines.

The central office and the new office will be connected over a 4Mbps leased line.

We want to be able to connect our Asterisk box to our EPABX so that people with Asterisk VoIP extensions can dial out using the POTS line - and, of course, receive calls through the POTS line.

I am informed that we will require a Digium card to connect the Asterisk box to the existing EPABX. This card, I am told is a PRI card that can handle 30 voice channels.  This is fine.

My question is -  how many such cards can one Asterisk system handle?

What if I want to enable three PRI lines on Asterisk?  Is it recommended to put in three or four PRI cards in one Asterisk box?

I have a dual Xeon 3.0Ghz (I think!) box with 2GB RAM - this box can be upgraded or changed as well and am running RHEL 4.0 AS on it.

Thanks very much

Best wishes

Iyer