[asterisk-users] t1 voip to failover pri

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Mon Oct 2 10:14:14 MST 2006

If reliability is the issue, then use the PRI *first* then failover to VoIP.
If cost savings are the issue, use VoIP then have a 2nd VoIP provider to
fail over to, and no PRI.

In either scenario, inbound call routing is thorny, some guys that provide
both PRI and VoIP can route calls automatically on failover.

However, you *will* get 5 9's in any kind of PRI scenario, that is what it
is designed to do. If your voice downtime is measured in hundreds or
thousands of dollars a minute, use a PRI.

ROI on Asterisk depends on how you look at it. I enjoy the fact that
licensing costs are zero and you can make it do way cool stuff, and you have
access to a huge 3rd party market. But I would get my ass canned if I went
to VoIP only and it went down. I do have a hybrid install with a SIP 12
channel connection and 2 BRI's for failover, and the cost savings are 30%
over a frac PRI. You don't nessisarily have to do a 1-1 backup of your voice
channels, all you need is enough to support 80% or so of your estimated
average concurrent use and chances are your users will never know the
difference in a failover situation unless it's another 9/11 and everyone is
calling out. In that case, you can say, hey, it's another 9/11, no kidding
the phones didn't work.