[asterisk-users] Fax detection ...

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Sun Oct 1 14:58:37 MST 2006

phil.dawson at marnock.com wrote:

>I'm having trouble detecting faxes reliably.  I'm using one analog line for
>both voice and fax.  Sometimes this works but a lot of the time it doesn't
>and I was wondering if anyone knew why.

Well, fax detection isn't entirely reliable anyway.  Even if you assume
that your fax detection feature and operation is flawless in properly
detecting fax tones (and that most likely would be a specious
assumption), not all calling fax machines send fax tones.

So if you can tolerate it being not entirely reliable, then go ahead and
use fax detection.  If you need reliable, then don't rely on fax detection.

Lee.