[asterisk-users] 200+ analog phones connected to FXS modules

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Nov 30 10:59:13 MST 2006

On Thursday 30 November 2006 06:13, Zoa wrote:
> You could go for 2 quad pri cards + channel banks or for TDMoE or usb
> channel banks.
> The last option would be the cheaper and more scalable one imho

The scale here is already bordering on unrealistic.  I wouldn't expect them to
want to make this too much bigger.

Scaling aside, 200+ ulaw channels (13Mb/sec not including overhead) over USB?
You're joking, right?  I know that USB 2.0 is rated at 480Mbps but has this
actually been tested and verified?  I would imagine USB 2.0 chipset variants
and inconsistencies are even worse than that of PCI.

And individual RJ11 jacks?

I'd strongly suggest the dual TE407P with channel banks.  D50 connection,
hardware echo cancel/dtmf/etc. Offload all transcoding to another box or set
of boxes.  You can even use cheapass Carrier Access Access Bank I or IIs off
of ebay (sub-$100 range), as this is FXS and you don't need CPD.

> www.spidermux.org

Interesting product, I didn't know about this one until just now.  I've heard
that TDMoE is more trouble than it's worth, though, and may eventually be
phased out of Asterisk.  Can anyone from Digium give some more information or
suggestions?

-A.