[asterisk-users] SIP Port 5060

Leo Ann Boon leo at datvoiz.com
Wed Nov 29 22:20:20 MST 2006

Brad Templeton wrote:
<snip>
> My understanding was that the "port=" field on a particular SIP
> channel defines the port used at the remote end, ie. The
> user's phone will be talking on port X of their IP address, it
> does not alter what SIP port Asterisk is listening on on the
> Asterisk box.

The host and port pair is used by Asterisk to identify a static peer. If
host=dynamic, then Asterisk will use the host/port from the Register
message.
> That is what bindport does, and that's a global setting, I
> was not aware you could have multiple bindports but that is
> very useful if it works.

1.2 certainly doesn't support the use multiple ports. If you put
bindport=5060;6060, only 5060 is use.

<snip>
>     a) You might get around carrier SIP blocking

If the carrier is really determined to block you, they will use content
inspection rather than just blocking by port number.

The only viable solution is by VPN or SIP encryption. I know there are
various proxies that support hash encryption of SIP/RTP packets to get
around the blocking. The only problem is finding equipment that support
the hash encryption which is vendor specific.

IIRC, opensipstack has a working implementation of such an encryption
scheme.

Leo