[asterisk-users] SIP Port 5060

Brad Templeton brad+aster at templetons.com
Wed Nov 29 21:14:28 MST 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 04:49:38PM -0700, Joseph wrote:
> What I have is that each device is listening on different port ex.
>
> [pstn-5665] ; incoming/outgoing calls on FXO port
> type=friend
> port=5066 ; port on Pstn line
>
> [318] ; incoming/outgoing calls on FXS Sipura-2002
> type=friend
> port=5069 ; port on FXS line
>
> etc.
>
> Though I'm not sure if bindport will work, try it!

My understanding was that the "port=" field on a particular SIP
channel defines the port used at the remote end, ie. The
user's phone will be talking on port X of their IP address, it
does not alter what SIP port Asterisk is listening on on the
Asterisk box.

That is what bindport does, and that's a global setting, I
was not aware you could have multiple bindports but that is
very useful if it works.

The idea of having a different bindport per channel would be
handy too as yet another means of identification.

There is some merit in not using port 5060 for your bindport,
though it comes at a cost.
    a) If you use another port, all clients must be configured
       with a slightly more complex URL for you including a port
    b) A few broken clients can't call you at all because they
       don't let you set the port (mythphone is one example.)

but...

    a) You might get around carrier SIP blocking
    b) If there is ever a virus/DOS aimed at SIP devices or asterisk,
        you may well escape it.  No guarantees becuase many mal-tools will
       scan for other ports but it's more work for them.
    c) If you want to run more than one instance it is the only way