[asterisk-users] Survey: In what ways do you use Asterisk at your house?

Tom Lynn tom at tomlynn.com
Tue Nov 28 22:46:48 MST 2006

Earle,
I'm running Astlinux on a PIII 550 with 384 megs of ram.  Booting from a
Compact Flash card.  Non-Volatile storage on a USB Keydisk.  I have three
SIP DID numbers in three different area codes here in Western Washington via
IPKall.  I use a local SIP termination provider and also retain my Qwest
POTS line with callerid, which connects via an X100P clone board.

All in all, I've got less than $50 sunk into the system.  Past that, I added
an SPA3K, which is an utter disappointment, regardless of what old Ward
Mundy has to say about them.

I'm got various services running.  Weather reports via an cepstral speech
synthesis (runs off-server in a wmware instance).  I use it to block
unwanted callers from reaching my home based on values stored in the ASTDB
and simple dialplan logic.  Speed Dials, wakeup calls, music on hold
customized to the caller based on Caller ID, Conference bridge (remember,
I've got three DIDs via my broadband), and I'm also working on automating
retrieval of e-mail and conversion to speech so that my in-laws, who don't
have a computer, can hear their e-mails as soon as they arrive, via the
telephone, subject to common sense time of day rules.  I have DISA service
setup for the rare instance that I get an urge to call overseas from my cell
phone.

And when they build FAX capability into AstLinux, I'll use that, too.