[asterisk-users] How to park calls on a specific extension

Brad Templeton brad+aster at templetons.com
Mon Nov 27 22:33:46 MST 2006

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 11:20:27PM -0500, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
> Can you explain how ValetParking and twenty minutes worth of "dialplan
> creativitiy" can't do the same EXACT thing you are describing? Sometimes the
> simplest answer is never the most obvious....

Yeah.  With valet parking (or any parking) you have to explicitly park
your call.   With what I propose, or with SLA, or with many key systems
or simple multiline phones, all you do is put the call on hold, and
that makes it possible to grab it from elsewhere.

Frankly, call park by transfer requires that the user be comfortable
with transfer.  You may be aware that quite often they aren't, and
in fact, transfer doesn't always even work on some phones or takes work
to get going.

On some phones it's #700.  On some it's "hit xfer, dial 700, hit xfer"
On some it's put on hold, then dial, then hit xfer.  Etc. etc.

almost all phones however, that can put on hold. do so with a single
well marked button, same UI everywhere.