[asterisk-users] Junk faxes

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Fri Nov 24 11:17:38 MST 2006

Doug Lytle wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> I wanted to know what other may be doing to stem the flood of inbound
> junk faxes?
>
> We currently using Asterisk/iaxmodem/Hylafax for fax services and get
> a number of junk faxes daily.  Most (If not all) of them have
> caller-id blocked and have a TSI of "".  I was hoping that, since we
> are using a PRI, there would be other information coming across that I
> could use to identify these spammers.  Any suggestion would be
> appreciated.
>
> Doug

Is this an 800 number?  If so, and maybe if your telco is very nice, you
can get ANI.  Toll free lines get ANI for billing purposes but it is
much more useful than just billing.  Sometimes you just have to request
it.  ANI cannot be blocked like callerID.  If the spammers are
sophisticated enough, they can still get around the ANI but I doubt they
are.

BTW OT from another thread, I upgraded IAXmodem and used the example
Hylafax modem config files instead of using Hylafax's addmodem and
things seem to be much better.  Keeping my fingers crossed and will load
first thing Monday.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro