[asterisk-users] Junk faxes

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Nov 24 08:51:18 MST 2006

> Hey everybody,
>
> I wanted to know what other may be doing to stem the flood of inbound
> junk faxes?
>
> We currently using Asterisk/iaxmodem/Hylafax for fax services and get a
> number of junk faxes daily.  Most (If not all) of them have caller-id
> blocked and have a TSI of "".  I was hoping that, since we are using a
> PRI, there would be other information coming across that I could use to
> identify these spammers.  Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Take a good look at the resources on the Internet for dealing with
"junk fax".  The TCPA of 1991 made them essentially illegal.  The
2005 update broadened the scope a bit, but there are still a bunch
of rules you need to follow or you're subject to penalties.

You can also do a much better job of getting "caller-id" by subscribing
to an 800# service that puts ANI information in the caller-id field
before delivering it to you; this assumes you're willing to pick up
the tab for incoming calls.

See http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/unwantedfaxes.html for more
info.

The biggest reason we still have junk faxes is that so few people make
use of the available remedies.

... JG