[asterisk-users] Hairping calls and Originating CLI

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Thu Nov 23 16:58:57 MST 2006

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 08:55:41PM +0000, Tim Panton wrote:

> >I've asked gradwell about my second point (still waiting...), but your
> >thoughts are the same as mine.  In theory it should be ok, because I
> >have to authenticate the IAX connection with a username/password,
> >which
> >in turn they own and can look up if needed.. But I think theres
> >something in UK law that says you can't be allowed to spoof the
> >originating CLI.
> I don't know about a law, but the downstream interconnecting points
> probably make them sign contracts to that effect.
> Of course if you can prove to Gradwell (or whoever) that the number is
> yours, then it isn't spoofing - even if the call didn't really
> originate on that
> line.

You can set your CLI to whatever number is within your number range.
Several providers "allow" you to set it to whatever you like, but they
generally have an agreement (that you sign up to) that says you'll only
set it to numbers you own (or are within a number range allocated to
you). Just because you can set your number to something, doesn't mean
you're allowed to.

This became very apparent when telcos used trombing to get cheap UK
termination but you had to set your origination number to your real
number, and then the trombing operator would be charged the UK
termination rate, not the blended rate (which is an ITU regulation).

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44-(0)7775 755503
UK +44-(0)20 79932612 / US +1-(310)8577715 / Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/Mac stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com