[asterisk-users] (OT) HylaFAX, IAXModem, Asterisk

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Thu Nov 23 06:08:22 MST 2006

I have all three running on the same box.  I say OT because it appears
asterisk is doing it's job just fine.  It must be an IAXmodem or
faxgetty (hylafax) problem

When faxes work, they look great.  I have ten IAXmodems setup with
different ports and they register fine.  I have ten faxgettys that
startup fine.  I start the IAXmodems and then faxgettys in inittab.
They are setup as a roll down in the dialplan.

Everything works for a while but at some point (not sure if a regular
interval or random), they when a call is attempted, the channel reports
back that everyone is busy.  Sometimes it is just one and the next grabs
the call, sometimes all of them and the call goes to congestion.
Faxstat shows all faxes as running and idel and show channels in
asterisk reports zero.

I am losing about 40% of inbound faxes at times when the system is
"working" and 100% when it is not.  I put together the configs from many
different resources found on the net since no single Howto seemed to
work correctly which got me to this point.

Does anyone have any clue why this happens?  I have examined every log I
can think of and there are no errors.

Thanks,
Steve

Iaxmodem config:
device          /dev/ttyIAX0
owner           uucp:uucp
port            4570
server          127.0.0.1
peername        iaxmodem0
secret          itsasecret
cidname         Fax1
cidnumber       8005551212
codec           slinear

ttyIAX0 Config:
FAXNumber:              +1.800.385.7032
LongDistancePrefix:     1
InternationalPrefix:    011
DialStringRules:        etc/dialrules
ServerTracing:          1
SessionTracing:         11
RecvFileMode:           0600
LogFileMode:            0600
DeviceMode:             0600
RingsBeforeAnswer:      1
SpeakerVolume:          off
GettyArgs:              "-h %l dx_%s"
LocalIdentifier:        "NothingSetup"
TagLineFont:            etc/lutRS18.pcf
TagLineFormat:          "From %%l|%c|Page %%P of %%T"
MaxRecvPages:           100
#

#
#
# Modem-related stuff: should reflect modem command interface
# and hardware connection/cabling (e.g. flow control).
#
ModemType:              Class1          # use this to supply a hint

#
# The modem is taken off-hook during initialization, and then
# placed back on-hook when done to prevent glare.
#
ModemResetCmds:         "ATH1\nAT+VCID=1"       # enables CallID display
ModemReadyCmds:         ATH0

Class1AdaptRecvCmd:     AT+FAR=1
Class1TMConnectDelay:   400             # counteract quick CONNECT response
Class1RMQueryCmd:       "!24,48,72,96"  # V.17 fast-train recv doesn't
work well

CallIDPattern:          "NMBR="
CallIDPattern:          "NAME="
CallIDPattern:          "ANID="
CallIDPattern:          "NDID="
# Uncomment these if you really want them, but you probably don't.
#CallIDPattern:          "DATE="
#CallIDPattern:          "TIME="