[asterisk-users] G722?

Michael Graves dickson at covad.net
Wed Nov 22 20:19:09 MST 2006

In a recent interview someone from Digum indicated that the G722 wideband codec was being worked into Asterisk. This will make Asterisk compatible with Polycom's new HDVoice products
like the IP650 phone. This is very interesting, potentially exciting, but it brings up certain questions.

Who will benefit as long as calls must typically pass into existing PSTN infrstructure, and so be transcoded into G.711? It seems to me that only systems that are IP end-to-end stand to show
the improvements...or am I mistunderstanding?

Michael Graves