[asterisk-users] T.38 - By reinvitation only?

Alex Lake alex at digitalmail.com
Mon Nov 20 09:20:16 MST 2006

Hi All,

Excited to see mention of T.38 passthru with 1.4.0....

BUT it seems like "Emperor's New Clothes" from my perspective.

As I understand it, T.38 passthru only works via a re-invite mechanism -
so two T.38 devices try talking fax and request a T.38 media stream.
Asterisk is now savvy enough to realise it can't do it, so opts out -
"Hey Guys, I don't know diddly squat about T.38, so why don't you two
just talk to eachother and leave me out of it."

That's great if you don't need to know about when the call ended, but
for those that do, I assume that it's not a viable solution.

Is my understanding correct?

Alex Lake