[asterisk-users] Nokia E70

Alberto Pastore alberto at msoft-italia.com
Thu Nov 16 15:36:28 MST 2006

Michiel van Baak ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone here has any experience with the Nokia E70 and
> asterisk ?
> I read on the nokia website this phone is capable of talking
> SIP and do Presence based on SIP/SIMPLE.
>
> Please share your experience, I'm thinking of getting one
> but want to be sure I can use it with * before I do.
>
> Thnx.

Hi.

we're using a couple of e70 and six e60 in our company.

If you don't set Internet Phone as the primary connection,
it works quite well (if you set Internet Phone as the
primary choice, you'll have to reboot the phone
often, at least once a day... that's what
happens on all our phone even after the last firmware
upgrade).

We don't use Presence, however we can receive calls on our
extension numbers, as well as make calls via wifi with
good quality. We're using iLBC codec, since g729 was not
that good.

My own e70 is also set to connect to my home wifi
access point and automatically register on my company's
asterisk, so that I can make/receive calls when I'm home
as if I were at office.

Battery life is excellent, compared to the enabled radio
functions (bluetooth is on for wireless headset,
wi-fi is on, umts/gsm of course
is on), about 1 day 1/2 with many phone calls.

My greatest concern is about its poor
exterior robustness... I hope I'll never let it
fall to the floor, it looks like it'll break into
a thousand pieces.

I can say I'm overall satisfied, although I'm
hopefully waiting
for a more stable firmware.

Alberto.

Alberto Pastore
B-Press Srl - Gruppo MSoft
P.IVA 01697420030
P.le Lombardia, 4 - 28100 Novara - Italy
Tel. 0321-499508
Fax 0321-492974
http://www.msoft.it