[asterisk-users] Setting the CallerID

Conrad Wood asterisk-users at conradwood.net
Thu Nov 16 08:07:36 MST 2006

> Out telco assigned us a number range, say from 0231 - 555 0000 to 0231 -
> 555 9999. These are number wich are routed to our asterisk server.
> This will make 0231 - 555 0000 my "base number", sorry if i have chosen
> a name with more an one definition.
>
> On the other hand, i can set whatever number i like for outgoing calls.
> Usually i have something like this in my dialplan:
> Set(CALLERID(number)=XXXXXXXXX), where XXXX is the number i want to be
> shown.
>
> If i dial a national number (landline or mobile) the number i have set
> is shown properly.
>
> If i dial a number in England the called sees my "base number", but in
> correct international format, +49 231 555 0000.
>
> My Provider i called Dokom, it is a small local telco. I think they only
> have lines in Dortmund, and beyond that they route through German
> Telecom lines, but i am not sure of this.
>
> The Number I call is a mobile number from Manx Telecom (Isle of Man).
>
> I have made the calls with pri intense debug set on, but from my side a
> can see no difference between calls where the number is set successfully
> and calls the my number does not show up.
>
> I have spoken with Dokom too, and they tell me that they don't mess up
> with my calls, only passing through, and that they are not sure if the
> number i have set, will be able to show up at the other side.
>
> I have also tried to set number within my assigned number range and
> outside of my number range.
>
> Here the same: To national calls i can set whatever i like and to
> international calls only my base number is shown.

I guess that Dokom bought or rented or whatever a certain range of
numbers from 'Big German Telco GmbH'. As long as you remain within the
Dokom network you (dokom) can retain the callerid. As soon as you route
your call out to another network, the peer will see that the callerid
doesn't match the account and reset it. If your call gets routed through
various networks I guess any network could decide to reset the callerid.
Here in UK any DDIs are not automatically added to the list of allowed
out callerids unless you specifically ask, so they get reset to the base
number as well.

Now, that's only a *guess*. And the bad news is, *if* I'm right, there
is little you can do except change provider, route or persuade dokom to
speak to their upstream peers.

You might have more luck asking on a telecom specific list, rather than
here.

Conrad