[asterisk-users] Grandstream GXP2000 -- What's the Catch?

Alex Robar alex.robar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 20:35:02 MST 2006

Doug,

Just a note on this subject: I have a Snom 320 at home, and it's got a nice
orange MWI that's pretty visible (especially if the apartment is dark). At
the office I have a Polycom 501. It's got a great red light right at the top
of the phone in the middle. It's very visible unless the phone isn't facing
you at all.

Alex

On 11/15/06, Doug Crompton <doug at crompton.com> wrote:

> Well I have a Grandstream 200 in a home application and so far I have been
> happy with it. My biggest complaint is that 99% of these IP phones are
> black!!
>
> One of the reasons I bought the 200 was because it has a bright red, see
> across the room, message waiting indicator. I have not seen that spec'ed
> on other phones. That doe not meant they don't have it, it is just not
> spec'd. I imagine the multiline LCD's have it on the screen, but you would
> not see that unless you specifically walked over and looked.
>
> I would be interested if any other phones have message waiting indicators
> as visible as the GS 200.
>
> Doug
>
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Tom Vile wrote:
>
> > They brake easy.
> > Speaker phone is not very good.
> > Overall sound not good compared to a Snom, Polycom or Cisco phone.
> > Drop registrations with Asterisk randomly.
> > Power supplies die.  Had 4 out of 10 go bad within a year.
> > LCD backlight died on 2 that I deployed.
> >
> > We only do the Snom 320 or 360's now and are just as easy to configure
> and
> > have alot of great options as well.
> >
> > On 11/15/06, Jeronimo Romero <jromero at eusnetworks.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > We are doing a medium sized office in NYC with 80 phones. The customer
> > > originally requested Polycom 601 phones. The COO also authorized us to
> > > purchase 2 Grandstream GXP2000 phones for the mail room. We find these
> > > phones much easier to configure and work with asterisk . They support
> BLF &
> > > intercom right out of the box. They can also be centrally managed and
> > > provisioned. They also sound great and work in a very intuitive way.
> We
> > > don't have real life experience deploying this phone so I'm just going
> > > ask:
> > >

> > > Is there a catch?  Why the huge price difference? These phones seem to
> do
> > > everything a busy corporate office would need. Is there a big
> qualitative
> > > difference between this phone and Polycom501/601?? Is there a major
> problem
> > > with this phone not disclosed by the manufacturer or vendors. Some
> feedback
> > > from people who have deployed them would be great.
> > >

> > > Thanks In advance.
> > >

> > > JR

> > --
> > Tom Vile
> >

> "Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
> safety
> deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

> *  Doug Crompton           *
> *  Richboro, PA 18954      *
> *  215-431-6307            *
> * doug at crompton.com        *