[asterisk-users] Grandstream GXP2000 -- What's the Catch?

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Wed Nov 15 20:10:56 MST 2006

Well I have a Grandstream 200 in a home application and so far I have been
happy with it. My biggest complaint is that 99% of these IP phones are
black!!

One of the reasons I bought the 200 was because it has a bright red, see
across the room, message waiting indicator. I have not seen that spec'ed
on other phones. That doe not meant they don't have it, it is just not
spec'd. I imagine the multiline LCD's have it on the screen, but you would
not see that unless you specifically walked over and looked.

I would be interested if any other phones have message waiting indicators
as visible as the GS 200.

Doug

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Tom Vile wrote:

> They brake easy.
> Speaker phone is not very good.
> Overall sound not good compared to a Snom, Polycom or Cisco phone.
> Drop registrations with Asterisk randomly.
> Power supplies die.  Had 4 out of 10 go bad within a year.
> LCD backlight died on 2 that I deployed.
>
> We only do the Snom 320 or 360's now and are just as easy to configure and
> have alot of great options as well.
>
> On 11/15/06, Jeronimo Romero <jromero at eusnetworks.com> wrote:
> >

> > We are doing a medium sized office in NYC with 80 phones. The customer
> > originally requested Polycom 601 phones. The COO also authorized us to
> > purchase 2 Grandstream GXP2000 phones for the mail room. We find these
> > phones much easier to configure and work with asterisk . They support BLF &
> > intercom right out of the box. They can also be centrally managed and
> > provisioned. They also sound great and work in a very intuitive way. We
> > don't have real life experience deploying this phone so I'm just going to
> > ask:
> >

> > Is there a catch?  Why the huge price difference? These phones seem to do
> > everything a busy corporate office would need. Is there a big qualitative
> > difference between this phone and Polycom501/601?? Is there a major problem
> > with this phone not disclosed by the manufacturer or vendors. Some feedback
> > from people who have deployed them would be great.
> >

> > Thanks In advance.
> >

> > JR

> --
> Tom Vile

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug at crompton.com        *