[asterisk-users] Dual Wan Router with Failover

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Tue Nov 14 09:40:54 MST 2006

	There are several dual-WAN routers with load balancing and failover,
including the Xincom Twin-WAN series that I have tested OK with SIP (as
NAT): http://www.xincom.com/twinwan.php . Their other products probably
work, too.

	Keep in mind that load balancing on these devices assigns each TCP/IP
*connection* to its own WAN interface. So a large transfer on a single
connection is limited by the bandwidth of whichever interface it's
started on, even if the transfer starts slow enough to get assigned to a
smaller bandwidth interface, then expands to require the bandwidth from
the other WAN. The tech to de/multiplex streams works "well" only when
connecting to a single router endpoint, over relatively few hops that
can lengthen unpredictably the path some deplexed tackets travel. UDP
works better, but it still doesn't really work that well. What works
well is assigning different WANs to different apps' traffic, using
multiple WANs for failover, or just accepting that these techs are
better than nothing, and offer cheap ways to at least avoid a single
point of failure in the WAN scheme.

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein