[asterisk-users] newbie question

blackwater dev blackwaterdev at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 10:53:27 MST 2006

Hello,

I know little to nothing about asterisk.  I am currently reading info online
but was looking for other links as to good places to start.  I basically
just need to use asterisk to create a prototype.  I need to demo a system
that will allow the user to call a number, enter in some data, the backend
then queries our db and returns results to the user via the phone.  I've
been told this can be done with asterisk so need to get started.  This may
never turn into an actual project so just need the minimal amount of work
now to get it working.  Any way to use a softphone or whatever to call, have
the PBX prompt for info, receive it and then query the db and read the
results to the user is what I want to do.  The back end code will probably
be PHP but can be in something else if needed.

I am currently looking here
;
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+AGI

Are there other places to start?  Is there a place to get an asterisk
box/number set up for testing?

Thanks!