[asterisk-users] RxFAX - How to catch errors in the dialplan

Håkan Källberg hk at simulina.se
Tue Nov 7 22:58:40 MST 2006

Hello!

We use RxFAX, version 0.0.2-pre26 over ISDN and it mostly works
well. Occasionally we get .tiff files that are not convertible
with tiff2pdf. This may occur if the connection is interrupted,
I guess, but we also saw cases where the sender seems to
have got an OK but the .tiff is not readable anyway. Therefor I'd
like to check the return of the rxfax command a bit closer,
but there is no return value variable. The application is
said to return 0 or -1. The -1 should mean that the "user"
hanged up. Which user, sender or receiver? What was the
reason of the hangup? Error or success? And what about 0? Error
or success? I am confused!

Does anyone have a working dialplan to catch error/success
from RxFAX? If an error occurred I don't have to worry about
corrupted .tiffs.  A return STATUS variable would be most
welcome!

I saw one dialplan example with RxFAX and priority jumping,
where on jump to n+100 a retry, goto(n) was made. Does that
make sense? I have seen no indication that RxFAX should support
priority jumping or a j option. We use * 1.2.13.

What about the 0.0.3-preX series? It was always said to be
experimental and the 0.0.2 more for production use. Is this
still valid, or should I try the newer 0.0.3 versions? We use
current mISDN/chan_misdn, * 1.2.13, Linux kernel 2.6.13.

Mostly RxFAX wokrs very well, and the users are happy with it!

Best Regards:                     Håkan