[asterisk-users] Call Quality Issues with IAX?

hugolivude hugolivude at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 16:18:35 MST 2006

Funny you mention this because I've run into some voice degradation
problems with IAX2 myself recently...

When I have an external call come in on a DiD I frequently have to
send it back out to the PSTN (i.e. to a cell phone).  When this
happens I don't want my server in the media path, I want to hand it
off to my ITSP and let them handle both ends of the call.  I couldn't
get it to work with SIP through the provider I'd been working with so
I moved to a new ITSP and I switched from SIP to IAX2 at the same
time.

I had much better success transferring the call back to my ITSP using
IAX2 - I could see the handshakes in the CLI and I could phyically
disconnect my * server from the Ethernet once the call had been
established.  Unfortunately the call quality suffered terribly and was
unacceptable.  I had much better quality using SIP on my old ITSP,
even with the media passing through my Asterisk box.

So I'm curious whether this is an IAX2 problem or whether my new ITSP
is simply not that good.  Any thoughts?  I don't think the problem can
possibly be on my server given that the call is completly handed off
but could I be missing something?

Thanks,