[asterisk-users] Call Quality Issues with IAX?

Aaron J. Angel thatoneguy at aaronjangel.us
Sun Nov 5 13:59:08 MST 2006

Hey all,

I recently got a message from my provider about IAX:

> We do not recommend the use of IAX. It is a lossy protocol that is
> known to cause crackling, loss of audio and other issues. You can
> use IAX if you want, but we will not assist with any issues you may
> encounter.

Does anyone else know about these "known" problems?  I'm not sure
where this provided got this information, but it sounds like a crock.
I've never experienced any of the above issues with IAX.

I am concered about the reference to a "lossy protocol".  How is a
protocol lossy?  I've heard of lossy compression, which has nothing to
do with the protocol used to trasmit compressed data...but I've never
heard of a lossy "protocol".

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Aaron